Saturday, October 3, 2015

Adapt Content: MoMA Art Lab

 
MoMA Art Lab is an app for iPads which allows users to create different kinds of art, including shape poems and sound compositions along with the more traditional drawing and painting. The app gives users the opportunity to experiment with different styles and colors without the need to get dirty or buy potentially costly materials. Another great feature is the integration of master artists within the content creation process. The app is free for iPads, but unfortunately is not combatable with other iOS devices or Androids, which hinders the ability for use in the classroom.




The app would be great to teach students off all levels, especially those in younger grades. Ideally I would use this app to help teach students about the different forms of modern art that they can create and about the master artists that pioneered the styles. In my experience I have found that many early level art teachers focus mostly on master painters and show little focus on the contemporary arts and artists. This app would also allow students to continue to work on projects outside of the classroom, which in other disciplines of art can be much more difficult.

3 comments:

  1. This app seems really great for an art classroom, what a great find! Even though I am not going into the arts this could also be a great app for other subjects as a "brain break" from our subjects. I know that in my social studies classroom sometimes it can be information overload, this could be a nice break for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This app sounds terrific - I can see it being put to really good use in an art classroom! I like how you took note of how students could use this app to learn and explore art outside of the classroom. As we research and assess these apps, I am finding that apps that can be used outside of the classroom and direct instruction to be the most valuable. Although not my content area, I can see how art teachers in particular might want to have their students look for inspiration and learn outside of the classroom; this app seems great for meeting that goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great app. For me, as a future music educator, I love that they can create sound compositions as well as other types of art. I think this would be a fun way for students to explore different types of music creation possibilities.

    ReplyDelete